Hi everyone and welcome to our second Member News! 👋 😄
As last time, we're bringing you everything that happened at Uplink in the last month, plus our plans for the next weeks, all wrapped up in one nice tidy package. 🎁
Let's get started!
📝 Blog post: What we use to run the show
In our latest blog post, we give you insights into our tech stack and the tools we use to run Uplink. Check it out if that's your cup of tea:
👨💻 Webinar: Deep Dive into Specialisation & Positioning as a Freelancer
As hinted in the last Member News, we're planning a webinar about how freelancers can specialise and position themselves successfully!
Questions we'll talk about include:
- Should I try "productize" my services?
- How can I acquire more of the projects and clients I really like to work with?
- What specialisation should I choose? Shall I go "niche expert" or "jack of all trades"?
- How do I effectively "sell" myself and my services when I talk to clients?
- And last but not least: how can I charge more?
The webinar will take place on Thursday, August 12, at 18:30 and we will talk to these three exceptional members of Uplink community:
- Erik Matt, who helps his clients to be prepared for exceptional situations and supports them to set new courses during times of crisis.
- Holger Steinhauer, owner of steinhauer.software, the backend for startups and SMEs. He supports his clients with tailor-made software to make their business more successful.
- Dimitri Abalenkov, who has worked as a Product Manager/Product Owner for the last 5+ years. He has experience working both with SMEs like Betterplace Academy or Scout24, as well as big corps like Deutsche Bank. Financial industry and frontend-facing projects belong to his strengths.
🤝 Joint event with Freelance Junior at Factory Berlin
On Friday, August 20, at 18:00 we will be joined by our Hamburgian friends from Freelance Junior for a community event at Factory Berlin. We will talk a bit about the top 10 "worst practices" when working with freelancers, and there will music, networking and free drinks afterwards! 🥂🍻
If you're a member of Factory Berlin, make sure to come by!
If you're not a member, we can offer you one of 20 guest list spots that were reserved for Uplink members. Simply ping Nick in Slack and let him know you're interested! If there are more than 20 interested members, the lot decides.
Also, we're looking for a few members to share a quick client "horror story" with the audience! 😱 What was the worst f***up that ever happened to you on a client project? If you'd be willing to join us during our talk and contribute your story for a minute, our eternal gratitude will be yours! 😁
Let Nick know about it when you ping him.
🎉 Finally: our next "IPAs & IPAs" Community Meetup
After a long hiatus during which we couldn't organize any community meetups due to the rona, we decided to go for it and organize one now in August!
Come join us on Wednesday, August 25, from 19:00 on at the BRLO BRWHOUSE in Berlin!
Please note that you need a negative test or proof of full vaccination to join the meetup. There is a testing station at the BRLO, though, so you can do a free test there and join us when the result arrives.
You can find all further info about the meetup in the member area.
👨🔧 Open jobs
The following jobs are currently open for applications:
- File-Server Beratung und Setup (m/w/d) at a joint tech initiative of several Berlin universities
- WooCommerce Developer (m/w/d) at a client offering health education and coaching for chronic lifestyle diseases by app
- Java Developer (m/w/d) at the innovation unit of a large logistics provider
- Java Entwickler (m/w/d) at small digital agency
- Data Scientist / Analytics Engineer at a startup disrupting bulk delivery industry
- System Administrator at Berlin based startup providing financial services for crypto assets
- Lead Product Designer (f/m/x) at the worldwide largest operator of classified ad portals
- CTO / Full-stack developer at a client running an online market place for real estate investments
- Senior C#/ .Net Backend Engineer for Mobile Field Service App at Berlin based startup in the renewable energy space
🙋♀️ Welcoming Sarah to the team
We'd like to welcome Sarah Noack to the Uplink team!
Hi everyone, my name is Sarah and I am the newest team member at Uplink! 😃 I am currently working completely remotely from sunny Valencia. 🌞 I support Uplink in finding new collaborations and maintaining existing contacts. I also study Media Management with a focus on Interactive Media and I love to spend my free time with friends at the beach, cooking and dancing.
Sarah joined us in Berlin for a week of onboarding and then returned to her adopted home in Spain.
📈 Our numbers
In most regards, July was a slower month than June, presumably since many freelancers and clients were on holidays. 🏝🏄♂️
Still, we onboarded 39 new members, published 23 jobs, introduced 42 candidates, and could log 9 new confirmed engagements.
Shame on us! We didn't manage to finish any of three things we mentioned last time (website landing pages for startups and agencies, becoming an "Open Startup", and referral links). The reasons are that we didn't anticipate Sarah joining us spontaneously for a week in Berlin, and the many tasks that materialized from the discussions and planning with her.
So there's not much else to say except that we promise to tackle those topics asap! 🤞
We are very happy with this new Member News format compared to the old-school newsletters we sent out in the past. We hope you enjoy it, too!
Take care and peace out, ✌️